Friday, November 30, 2007

Pok tih and his monster pets.

Date: 27th and 28th Nov 2007

Location: Pok Tih PayPond, Kota Bahru

Line Up:

Farmi

BabyFace

Amriez

Its my holiday. For a month. A month without office works in my mind. A month full of fishing. For the whole month, I’m in Kota Bahru. A state with hundred of promising fishing spots.

27th November

It was a second morning I’m in Kota Bahru. Farmi was waiting his next construction project to be launch. He just need an approval letter from the municipal council to start working again. With me in Kota Bahru, he can’t resist to set a fishing trip for both of us.

First on the list was Pok Tih’s.

I really have an issue with this place. Since the day one I set foot there, not a single Pacu could be landed by me. Farmi was different. He landed the fish many times before. To make it legal, on a trip with me, the score was 2 to zero. Unlucky is the perfect word to describe my experience fishing for Pacu at Pok Tih’s.

Purposely, we brought lots of rambutans for Pacu’s baits. This time, Patin is not on the list as we targeted the ferocious pacu. We fished for 2 hours, and yet, we landed few stupid patins using the special bait for Pacu. As we puzzled by the situation, Pok Tih came with couple of chicken’s heads. He ordered us to change the hook to the bigger one. Using a steel leader (15p) and 3/0 Mustad hooks, he set the baits. The only reason was simple, Patin’s mouth is not big enough for the chicken’s head.

An hour went by, I just landed a freaking 3 kg keli (African catfish) . The fish fought harder than patin but a little less than Pacu.. As we settled down, Farmi’s rod shook violently and flew a couple feet from the floor but he grabbed the rod on time, a second away before the rod took a swim. Almost an instant with the incident, the water about 15m in front of us exploded. A smile was spotted on farmi’s face. A Pacu was struggling to get free from the deadly hook. But the hook was deep inside its mouth and its not a seahawk hook. It was Mustad. Twice stronger than seahawk. The fish jumped several times. It dashed, to left and right, every creatures in the pond jumped away shockingly. It was a chaotic moment. Finally, the fish swam toward us. With a tremendous speed, it tangled the line between the pier’s pillars. Pok Tih’s son came with a fish scoop to make the ritual easier for Farmi. Finally, the score changed to 3 – 0.






Satisfied? I am not! I wanted the bad ass Pacu.

























A fish this big can fight like a satanic army.
















The catch of the day
















28th November

BabyFace was also in Kota Bahru to visit his mother. I broke the news about my trip to Pok Tih’s. He agreed to follow us this morning. I let him used my Daiwa set as he brought nothing. He was happily landed Patin after Patin.

Farmi had to went home early as he had few things to be settle. Using the same baits as yesterday, yet, I landed another Keli about 5kg in weighs. 3 hours went by, BabyFace was really enjoying his sweet time fishing and torturing my daiwa set. We changed location, tired of sitting on the obsolete pier, we went to rest on the green grass on the other side of the pond. It was noon. We got no reaction from the pond’s community. We left the rod on the rod stand and retreated under the cool shady of mango tree.

As we chatted , we heard “zeeeeee……Zeeeeeee….Zeeeeeeee …..” My daiwa Crossfire bent. The butt of the rod was not on the ground. Made a quick dashed but it was too late for me. The rod, was not on its stand anymore. The rod went swimming in pok Tih’s pond. At the same time, we heard a scary splash under the pier as the fish trying to break free. Not a word spoken. Just Pok Tih screaming about his pet thrashing the pier’s pillars and asking why I’m not retrieving my line. I just answered with my week voice about I lost my favorite rod.

Without thinking twice, I took off my pants and went into the pond to salvage the rod. The thrashing under the pier had stop. I spent 30 min in the waist deep pond to look for the rod. Finally my bare feet got tangled with some sort of line. I pulled it out, it was almost transparent light blue line. Without a doubt, it was a line that I use for the lost set. I pulled it out , and yes, I got my favorite rod back. On further inspection, the 15p steel leader, was broken. I don’t know how big the fish was, but estimated around 5kg.

We packed our stuff and went home. I promised to pok Tih to come again soon just to fight his monster pet. I spent the whole evening cleaning and servicing my set and wondering how on earth I’m going to beat farmi as the score remain 3-0.






BabyFace 1st visit to Pok Tih's
















I waited too long for pacu to take the bait. A happy ding dong spidey nested on my rod.

















There is no way i'm going to eat this ugly creature.

















A 5kg specimen.


















BabyFace caught 6 patins at a total weighs of 4kg.















I was looking for my rod... if babyFace was the one who fell into the pond, i'll let him drown for good. But this was my favorite rod. Daiwa crossfire and Rapala fsi















a 30 min search and rescue. To get my rod back is far to good than catching any pacu. i'll be back to fight you again!






No comments: