Sunday, June 17, 2007

KELANTAN RALLY

28th May
It was mid year school holiday. It was time to visit my in laws in kota bahru. I used kuantan – ajil – kuala terengganu - penarik – tok bali – kota bahru route. Made a quick stop at tok bali to cast at the famous breakwater. Well, no luck. Spent nearly 1 hour there. After 5 hours of driving, casting seemed something crazy to be done.

29th May.
With my sister in law’s husband, Farmi, we went to pengkalan datu to fish. Our target was kakap merah or maybe some unlucky siakap. Well to no luck again, the place was packed with evening anglers. Because of that, we are forced to do BOTTOM. We used belanak meat as a bait. Managed to get few Duris . I tried local menu of bait, selar filet. To my surprise, 3 kakap merah were caught.
We decided to proceed to Pantai Senak break water in bachok district. What a beautiful place. It was the same river where we fished at pengkalan datu. This is the river outlet into south Cina sea. We landed almost 2 kilos of bolos and tetanda. It was night with full moon. We didn’t bring any lantern or batteries operated light. So we packed and went home.


30th may
I went to pantai senak again . This time, I brought my family along. I tried to cast. But after 20 minutes, I decided to BOTTOM. Last night bolos curry was delicious. I want more bolos!!! Well it was certainly a bolos season. Within 2 hours of fishing, nearly 2 kilos of bolos were caught. I manage to land Ikan Nabi too. What a weird looking fish. I set the fish free as I have no appetite to eat that creature. And of course, lots of Duris….



31st May

Farmi was pissed off when he knew I went to senak without him. So have to make out with him today. Amir, farmi’s co-worker was also on the list. He owns a rechargeable lantern. We fished from 4pm until midnite with Bolos as a number 1 catch. There were few local people casting at a far distance. No luck.

1st June.
My wife organized a family reunion in semerak near the Death Lagoon (Lagun maut). We rent a couple of chalet (MZA CHALET). I was 1st to arrive. So I went to check out the Death Lagoon with my light Berkley set with Abu Garcia 300. At the end of the line, red and silver popper. No luck. Changed to soft lure. No luck too. Changed to spinner, No luck. Met two local guys spear fishing. They caught Kertangs. They said, people rarely fish here as there is no good fish around…. Well, I caught nothing here, and there was no sign of other anglers here, may be they were telling the truth. Around 6pm that day, Farmi and I, and 2 cousins of mine, went to tok bali. Bottom again!!! This time we fish at the fish market. SENANGIN and KERAPU were on the menu!!!! Most senangin we managed to land was landed with fish filet as bait. And Kerapu on live small prawns. So whenever you are planning to fish in Tok Bali, try to fish behind the fish market instead of the breakwater.


DEATH LAGOON IN SEMERAK,28 people died here last year.


The boys in my wife's family


real boat with real fishermen




At 10pm that night, Farmi and me went to Tok Bali water lock about 10 km from the fish market. The water level was subsided. The good thing about this place is, u can choose to fish for kerapu on one side, and giant prawn on the other side. Because of poor lighting, I snap no picture of that place. No kerapu for us, but few giant prawns were landed. Locals use live prawn the size of our toes as a bait for kerapu. Wow.. that size of prawn usually end up in my plate, but these people use them as a bait. Most prawn that they use as a bait were caught on site .

2nd June
There was a hot news about local people spotted some crocodile in sungai Kelantan. The reptile was spotted at Kota and Pasir Pekan. It is the place where I used to fish with Farmi on his 12 footer boat. Because of that, I dare not to take any chances to fish there. So we went to fish at Kg China for a giant prawn. We chose to BOTTOM at the river bank behind the Buddha temple. We were using Perumpun as a bait. 2 hours of fishing giving us approx. a kilo of good looking giant prawn. And again, duri… what with this fish? They are everywhere… hmmmm

Later that afternoon, we with our family went to Padang Kala near Melor/Mulong area to fish at Pak Tih pay pond. This place charge you only with the fish you caught. Pay pond is not really on my favourite list but my wife and the boys can enjoy themself landed patin, lampam or bawal merah. We took home some of the patins caught. No bawal merah today as we dont have any steel leader… that beast got very sharp teeth. twice, my nephew lost my daiwa rod/ shimano spinner. My advice, if you know that place is potential to land big fish, keep your eyes on that rod.. luckily the water just a waist deep. Twice, farmi had to salvage the freaking rod..



Pok Tih's pay pond


my nephew, Afiq, with his biggest catch ever



Patin and me.. he he

with that, my Rally was over. My conclusion, kelantan is a perfect place for you to fish. Next time i might try the Paddy Field for snakehead species and maybe for some Puyus.. with 2 hours drive from kota bahru, you can fish in tasik banding. I’m planning to fish there on November.

No comments: