Sunday, July 8, 2007

The Monster of Remand River - bye bye cherrywood

Location: Sungai Remand, Bukit Sagu, Kuantan.
Date : 8th April 2007
Anglers :
Ostat Fadhlin
Sharul
Madie
Jojie
Amriez
Objective: Giant Prawn and Ketutu


It’s Sunday again. Fishing is the best thing to do. We were planning to charter a boat in Merchong (Rompin), but due to unexpected reasons, we cancelled the trip ( it was cancelled because epul and babyFace couldn’t join us… they were the culprit behind the cancellation) And we don’t want to proceed without them even though replacements are easy to get .



i wish i have a 4wd ....











Ostat was our organizer for this trip. Sungai Remand is his playground. He been fishing there since 2003 . Most of us never fish here before except Sharul. Sungai Remand is a small river that flows into Kuantan river. It is situated in Bukit Sagu near the Pusat Bina Negara. It was rich with giant prawn and predators such as Toman and Haruan. Sadly, due to the logging activity, the river is now badly polluted. The water quality dropped and there are debris left by the @ucking loggers on the river bed.






Murky river ...








Malaysia has so many great rivers. They are once a healthy river. But ruined by the loggers. The government should do something to stop the pollution. Upstream, there is a Dam under construction, and it worsen the situation. We cannot expect the contractors (both for logging and Dam) to obey all the rules stated, but the ministry should take the matters seriously. They should station an officer in every site, and that officer is an anti-bribe. 10 years from now, there will be no clean river left in Malaysia . No perfect place for anglers except paypond. And our juniors will only see the Giant Prawn in zoo. And, too, the firm like Abu Garcia, Shimano, Penn, berkely, will force to shut down their operation as nobody will buy rods and reels anymore. With that, it also make me wonder, those firm should play their parts in river conservation. But from what I know, there is almost none.



Bottom up, top down....













an evidence, the loggers never care about environment










When you read my statement above, you already know the result of my trip. Yes, we landed some giant prawn and baby baung, but according to ostat, this was not OK. He used to take home kilos of giant prawn. But he also stressed that due to last nite rain, we shouldn’t expect anything big.



a common species here













Ostat... The GP hunter













Cocky Sharul













Happy madie. He used to be a surfcaster, now, addicted to GP












The monster...













A homemade live bait container with portable pump.










It was not a perfect and successful trip for me. My Berkley broke into half. I was using a small goldfish as bait when its happen. I was stunned when the monster bit, and my reflect was not fast enough. The freaking monster took the bait and sped to nearby snag for protection. My Abu 300 couldn’t stop the monster on time, and that freaking monster was safely hiding under the snags. As I’m trying to get my line free ( I was using 20pound steel leader) , the rod exploded. I was really really sad that I called the day off. The rod was so special to me. It was a gift from my wife. And nothing could replace it , unless she buy me a new one…. Hi hi hi…



poor Berkley cherrywood













The graphite is no match to the monster lurking for prey.










So , who were the successors? Madie and Sharul…. Madie just bought his first rod for giant prawn this morning, and he landed the biggest GP of the trip. Sharul was really cocky today, he talked shitty things to me… but I understand him, he was so happy to land so many GPs in his whole life. Poor Jojie.. he landed nothing..nada….zero.. and this was his second trip with me with him taken nothing home. Ostat? He took home at least a couple GPs and few baungs… well, poor me, no GP. Only broken Berkley to make this trip memorable to me. But I believe in God, and He must have reasons behind all this (like, the cherrywood is not good enough, he wanted me to buy Shimano Bassterra …ha ha ha) .

No comments: